I now work in a childrens centre as an early years practitioner. I love it. I love that I'm working in a profession where I can make a difference to the lives of young children. Yes, the pressure of the government requirements gets to us, and the stress of interesting parenting makes it difficult, and the pay sucks. But it's worth it. I like to make records of their development anyway and if it happens to be a 'document if progression' then whatever! I like to do it because it shows tht someone somewhere is doing their job right and I like to think I play a little part in that.
Anyway, this place has more issues than anywhere else I have ever worked. It's a centre where children are referred because of family or personal issues and needs. So the children are more difficult. There are only 12 per session with 3 members of staff. Sounds easy but it isn't. On Froday I caught flying bricks, came home with scratches on my face and arms and had been slapped and had my hair pulled. All in a 2.5 hour session. But I still love it.
The people I work with seem lovely which is one of the reasons I'm so happy. One is Irish which allows lots of missionary talk. One is from Newcastle which always rounds up to X factor :)
But they are also professional and lovely. We have lots of meetings and they are worth while. But we also have professional fun without the desire to fake friendships and hang out. I love it. My first priority will always be that of a mother and wife ( I guess that's two priorities)...but working here makes my next priority of work even easier :)
No comments:
Post a Comment