I had the opportunity to go into a home recently that really opened my eyes. The concrete floor, thread bare sofa and TV were all the home possessed (which we saw anyway). The baby was asleep in a pushchair, which led us to wonder if she had been out of it in the three weeks since birth. The older child was quiet on the floor and the two year old stood ready for us, holding his lunch box with yet another bandage covering another unfortunate 'accident'.
My heart broke yet again!
It sounds like a text book example that I've heard a million times in training. But it was and is real.
I couldn't help but think about it and as I discussed this single incident with family, I wanted to do more. I wanted to do more than sit in my comfortable home surrounded by people that I love, with carpets and wall paper and toys and books. At that moment and from that money, I wanted to make a difference.
And every penny counts.
We chose the childrens society because it's a fantastic charity that isn't just for abused children. It's for families that may have had the mis fortune to be affected by things like debt. It sounds trivial but it had the power to affect a child's life. Imagine how you would feel if you had no money, no food, no heating... Probably short tempered, hungry, cold, scared.
Well imagine how those feeling get transferred... Grumpiness, snapping, anger, and sometimes violence. No child deserves to have to worry about these things. So we chose this charity because it helps prevent the every day problems becoming a life time tragedy.
We started with a car boot sale!
We also set up a just giving page which has started to bring in some donations.
We have walks planned and cake nights planned and football tournaments planned.
And I believe that where there is a will, there's a way!
If you want to donate, here's the link to our just giving page! Please donate. Every penny really does make the difference! In the mean time, keep an eye out for more progress reports 😄

No comments:
Post a Comment