Monday, 25 December 2017

Christmas day 2017

I wish I could capture on paper the words that ibfelt in my heart today. For an hour today I felt closer to God and experienced more of his love for us then I have in a long time.
As we walked into the chapel, everyone was so joyous. A chorus of merry Christmas met us alongside arms around our necks. I found myself joining in and finding people to hug and shake hands with. As I repeated merry Christmas I felt the words....that I genuinely wanted these people to feel merry.
I gathered all the children present to the front and we sang a scratchy version of away in a manger. It brought the mood right in as these children who, no doubt, had already been awake 3 or more hours, readily and excitedly sang about the babe in a manger.
We then as a ward, read the Christmas story, broken up by the congregation singing carols. When I say singing, this is meant as a full on proper, putting everything they had, every breath and every heart bear into the song. It was remarkable. We heard a small group of 4 sing, then we had a couple sing at the front and lead us in on the chorus of Mary's kill any (or something like that I can't remember).
Then we had a new family and I sing silent night. As I stood atvthw front with this wonderful family and listened to the words... of that silent, holy holy night, itbwas overwhelmed. Then we had white Christmas played and sang by a genius of a pianist and singer. It was amazing. We listened to a beautiful poem about how we are closer to who we are supposed to be at Christmas than we are at any other time in the world. As I listened to the beautiful words, topped with the background music, I made a resolution to be better.
As we finished with singing joy to the world, I looked around and realised that it wasnt just me feeling it. Literally every single person was experiencing that joy. Every person had a smile. Couples hugged. No one was sat alone. Famikies were brought together. Friendships developed by simple smiles.My 2 year old daughter howled like a little singing wolf in joy because she wanted to join in. And she wasn't alone. No one was!!
God loves us. He sent us his son. It really is a joy. A joy to the world!
I'm so grateful!
Merry Christmas.

No comments: