Saturday, 27 September 2014

The frustrations of a four year old, a two year old and their parents!

Since starting school I've noticed, thankfully just a few times, that Joshy is starting to be more cheeky. I expected it. I've worked with children a long time and have witnessed how their behaviour changes when suddenly they are surrounded with 20 other little personalities on a daily basis. Boy, life is hard for little people. 
I forget too much that at four and two years old, their problems are huge because that's all they have to worry about. I sometimes find myself getting frustrated at the 'no' response or the shrugging if shoulders. I keep trying to remember that it's my job to role model and work around them but it's hard. 
Samuel is 2.5 years old now and his language, although progressing, is still very delayed. This leads to frustration for him and he shows it by moaning a lot! 
These emotions are hard. It's constant some days, particularly with me. Samuel moans in my legs the minute I finish work. 
But I can't help but cry with them sometimes. And feel their pain. And feel like I totally understand why they are sad or frustrated or cross. School at four is hard. Joshy suddenly has to learn to be obedient to rules that in some cases, he doesn't even know yet. He has to hold his temper all day so he doesn't get his 'rocket moved from the sun to the cloud' (it's a huge problem ha). He has to eat lunch in a loud hall, do street dance to loud music he hates, obey a teacher that doesn't love him and spend the most time he has ever spent away from us. 
And we wonder why he is frustrated. 
Samuel can't talk, is potty training, is in a day nursery which isn't the best but they love him. He misses his brother he usually has constantly around and they both have learnt that another baby is on the way! 
Seriously, since when do we think their problems are not worth tantruming about?! 
I'm working harder at cuddling instead of moaning back at them. I'm trying to focus in the positives instead of the fact that I secretly wish school didn't exist! 
I'm trying! But I get it wrong sometimes. And that sucks too! 

No comments: