In our family we have a no secret rule. I'm a bit of a stickler for safety and making sure we teach about the importance of communication. it's something I find incredibly hard. I want my children to be safe but I also don't want to scare them. so over the years we have had a no secrets rule. because usually most secrets stem from something that is wrong...not all the time but mostly. I've worried that they haven't understood but I've not wanted to push too hard because a)I want to them to enjoy their childhood with as little fear as possible and b) I don't want them to look weird ha. however, tonight I was so proud. both boys were at the neighbours house playing with their children. the girl had given them some chocolate off their chrostmas tree and sneakily said 'don't tell your mum just eat it'. immediately both boys came running to me at our house and firstly asked 'mummy can we eat this chocolate off their tree'. they then told me what had been said and I asked them what they had said in response to her. turns out joshy had (apparently very kindly) 'thank you for the chocolate, but we don't keep any secrets from mummy and daddy so we have to ask her' and then come to me.
It's a small and unimportant thing a little bit of chocolate. but a huge thing that they knew tof tell me. I'm so proud of them. we don't always get it right...and I'm sure they won't always remember...but this time they did and it reminds me that it IS worth the extra effort and it will sink in. I love these children so much and I'm so happy they are ours 😀

No comments:
Post a Comment