Three months. Its only been 3 months. In some ways, it has seemed a long time whilst in many ways, time has flown and I cannot believe we seem to be coming out of the other end already. I wish this could be an annual thing so that we were all given permission to reflect, appreciate, grow and look into ourselves. What a wonderful opportunity that would be and I firmly believe the benefits have potential to make the world a much better place than it currently stands.
So much has changed. I haven't stepped inside a shop since 16th March. I haven't seen more than 2 other people at a time (outside of my children and husband). I have yet to experience work life post corona, or lining up 2 meters apart or taking my children to school. Instead, I have lived in a bubble that, although had anxiety enclosed within it, has protected me and my family. And I feel so grateful.
In a time where thousands are dying, families are being pulled apart, people are mourning and sadness surrounds us, there were moments where people came together and lives were changed. I don't talk about clapping on our doorsteps, or cheering for our heroes, though I fully appreciate and am grateful for, the toll and efforts of many, many front line workers . I talk about the acts of love and kindness that have been displayed secretly and quietly, from within the walls of our own homes and in our local communities. The moments that touched hearts in ways that many do not see. I talk about the silent prayers and well wishes for those that people might not even know. I talk about the renewed contact between friends. The reaching out to those where relationships may have previously been difficult. I talk of the young ones serving the old ones. The people answering the mental health calls, delivering medications, doing the shopping. I talk about the letters that children send and receive from loving grandparents because they know its more personal than a text message. I speak of the donations to charities, the food silently dropped in the donation boxes. I talk of people being willing to keep their distance to keep their family safe, buying locally to support small businesses, making music videos to uplift others. I talk of the baked goods dropped on doorsteps with a knock and run attached. I speak of the sick, helping the sicker and the silent understanding that anxiety lies amongst us and that extra care and patience is needed.
What a wonderful time to be kind. What an essential time to be kind. And what an opportunity to sit back, witness and appreciate it. I have learnt so much, been the recipient of so much love and kindness and seized the moment to reflect upon how I too, show kindness and more importantly, how I will show kindness in the future. CS Lewis said:
'Now at last, they were beginning chapter one of the great story no one on Earth had ever read,
which goes on forever;
in which every chapter is better than the one before'
If we are to learn anything from the past few months, it is that we do not have to live in the past. We can begin now to make the world a better place. We can begin to make the changes that we may have wanted to before corona entered into our lives. There is no reason to stop these little moments. There is however, every reason to keep them going.
Expressing love and kindness opens up the gateway to softened hearts and open minds. Too often we can underestimate the power of a gentle hand, a loving hug, a wrapped up cookie or a kindly spoken word. Social media and the passing on of memes, although having a place, often replaces the sincerity of real expressions of love. Kindness costs nothing. Yet, I believe it is the most powerful tool we have as humans. A tool that is two way. Because not only does the recipient experience love, so to does the giver. And I believe that is where the most growth lies. When we serve, we grow. Our ability to love increases, along with our capacity. When we show kindness, we grow an affection towards those whom we choose to be kind to. As our affection increases, so does our desire and motivation to get to know and serve others more. In short, we become better people, because we choose to be kind.
For those that have read 'The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse', (if you haven't then I thoroughly recommend that you do) we witness the journey of four very different beings, experiencing love and friendship first hand. The horse tells us;
'Nothing beats kindness;it sits quietly beyond all things' .
I cannot thing of a greater way to express love and at the same time, a greater way to develop love, than kindness. And surely, no one can argue that this is what the world consistently stands in need of. Kindness takes place in many forms and it is not my desire to tell you how. I can tell you that it is available to all. One of my new favourite people is Glennon Doyle, who, amongst many other things, discusses love and the impact of it for each of us. She also says this;
'The amazing thing about love and attention...is that it is infinite. We get a new supply every single morning and so we can give it away all day. We never, ever have to monitor the supply of others or grab or hoard. There will be more in the morning. There will be enough'
We do not need to hold back. I believe that showing love allows us to open ourselves up to being loved. And because there is enough to go round, for everyone, every day, it means we should give and receive it freely. By receiving it, we allow others to witness the happiness it brings. By receiving it, we allow ourselves to acknowledge that we are entitled to be loved. By receiving love, we learn how it makes us feel and can begin to recognise the importance of giving more. By receiving love, we learn to love ourselves.
What a wonderful thing kindness is.
What a momentous time to learn it.
What an exciting future lies ahead.
The song from 2000 plays repeatedly in my mind. And with those lyrics, I hope that I am better. That I can be kind more. That I choose kind instead of having it forced upon me. and that I recognise the difference it can make.
'I would whisper words so loudly,
every heart could understand,
that love and only love,
can join the trials of man.
I would give my hearts desire
so that you might see.
the first step is to realise
that it all begins with you and me.
Love can build a bridge,
between your heart and mine
love can build a bridge
Don't you think it's time
Don't you think it's time
Don't you think it's time'
Kx

No comments:
Post a Comment