Last week I decided that I'd treat the boys to a McDonald's tea (coolest mum points for me). Whilst walking there, Joshy noticed a lady sitting on the floor outside asking for money. 'Look mummy, there's someone we need to help'.
How could I ignore that. We had a talk about which ways we could help her. I'm not a fan of the whole 'don't give money because they'll waste it' attitude. I prefer not to judge and let them decide what they need, whether that be right or wrong. However, on this occasion I was eager to have something tangible that the boys could see and do to make it a better learning experience for them and her. So we went to a cash machine, got out some cash but then went into the bakery where the boys chose a drink and a treat.. they chose a heart cookie because they 'think the heart will make her feel happier'. One of the boys held the money and one held the treats. As they approached the lady I felt myself becoming a little embarrassed and nervous in case it all back fired. She had a little crowd of other people around her but I was determined. The boys went up and joshy simply said 'I hope this makes you feel better'. They gave the things and we continued into McDonald's. The lady jumped up and chased us. I won't lie, I instinctively put my arms around the boys a little worried but she very kindly said 'thank you so so much. You children are so kind and I'm really grateful.' She then expressed gratitude for taking time to help her and she observed the children playing around putting money into the spinny tubs (I don't know what they are called). Then she thanked me again and went on her way. This was all a wonderful experience. But what made it better was this. As we sat eating and chatting I noticed the boys, especially Joshy but Sam too, couldn't stop smiling. I asked why and was met with the response 'I feel so happy. That lady made me feel so happy'.
Little did he know that he had indeed prompted the whole thing and made her feel even more happy. But that what he was experiencing was pure joy in the selfless act of serving others. I learned that day a lesson that I thought I already knew. That helping others really is helping ourselves develop the qualities that we need to be better people. A 6 yr old and a 4 yr old van do it...so I'm determined to do better!
Thursday, 2 June 2016
McDonald's miracles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a wonderful experience for you all and what wonderful boys you are raising. Thank you for sharing. Also I'm glad that you have a no judging policy if you do give money. Grandad use to say give with good intentions. X
Post a Comment