Something I realised (because I obviously keep forgetting and need reminding) is that to children, it's the small.moments that are the bog ones.
I often try to plan fun activities, cook healthy meals so we can all eat together, have family outings etc. Now these can often turn into more stress than they are worth and go unappreciated by a little 2 year old who would rather just have pasta. Or a 7 year old that would rather you play Minecraft with them.
Today I delighted in the natural things. Like playing with the dog outside after school. Letting Sam help me vacuum the car. Watching the boys take delight in their boats ' going in the whirl pool'at the end of their bath. Then we looked through a pile of books together, reminising on what used to be their favourites etc. Then I drew some weird Minecraft picture with them in their bedroom before lights out time. Turns out joshy thinks I'm a great artist.
These small unplanned things turned out to be my highlights of the day. Unbeknownst to joshy I'm a terrible artist. And Sam thinks helping me vacuum was amazing fun. And it was just me taking the plug out that caused the whirl pool. But We had a lovely evening and I didn't even have to plan anything. Our children just want time...and I need to remember that more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment