It's a funny old time when it comes to educating our children at the moment. With all children staying at home and being told to homeschool... or words to that effect... it's been interesting to witness and be a part of, the panic that can bring. We are two days into it and already I've decided enough is enough. I've been asked throughout my life numerous times, why I didn't become a teacher. Along with the fact I don't think I'm bright enough, I also have a huge problem with the way things are taught. When the school sent home all the work for the next 12 weeks I tried hard to embrace it and really wanted to support the teachers. But as day one turned into tears...from all involved... I decided that we will do the very basics. And that's because I believe that planning in the moment is the much more effective way to teach anything!
So at 8.30am we baked banana bread upon request- bam, maths done! Then we did some standard reading of books that the children were interested in. Another box checked. Then joshy wanted to do Hama beads-art/creative check! Next were 'swords and battles' in the garden which turned into building a massive bug garden. Funnily enough, when I looked later, bug houses was actually on the school plan. But I can guarantee if I told them that, it wouldnt have happened. I did try and do some maths with evie...well, it turns out I don't have a grasp on reception aged maths so we put it away for a long time. But, we had no fighting, no tears and I can 100% guarantee that we hit all areas of curriculum, through play that was unforced, all because they wanted to do it!
Planning in the moment is a real thing... check it out! It's about being there with your child, no matter what age, when they need it. It's about embracing what they want to learn and running with it. It's about gently introducing them to think and question for themselves...'what would happen if I put the wrong ingredients in?' 'I don't know, perhaps we should see'. Or 'how deep do you think this whole could be? Why is it deep? What else is that deep? What is deep? (My 4 yr old asked that), how tall am I?' Etc etc... it's being there, in the moment and letting it go where it needs to go. And that's how children learn!
Try it. Embrace it. Love it! Because I expect most teachers would admit that learning through play is the way forward..even if they don't have the time to do it in school!





2 comments:
I love this. It’s definitely what I needed to read as I try to keep all 6 of us as sane as possible over the next few weeks!). And now I want banana bread :)
Planning in the moment is the way forward. I'll be doing more specific posts on it soon to help people understand it a little more!
Post a Comment